Estrogen: Estradiol (E2)
Estradiol (E2) is one form of estrogen in a woman’s body. The other types of estrogen in a lady’s system is estrone (E1) and Estriol (E3).
These three forms of estrogen have their own unique properties but also work together in a woman’s body. The balance of estradiol to estrone and estriol is important as an imbalance can create unwanted symptoms. The balance of the three hormones are particularly important in bio-identical hormone replacement (BHRT) for menopause and anti-aging.
Estradiol (E2) is the main form of estrogen in a woman’s body and is also the strongest form of estrogen. Estradiol is extremely important in a woman’s health. Although, too much of a good thing (estradiol) can cause unwanted symptoms and risk factors.
Some Important Benefits of Estradiol:
- Bone density for strong bones
- Cholesterol: reduces “bad” LDL and increases “desirable” HDL cholesterol
- Cognitive function
- Skin elasticity
- Hair thickness and fullness
- Sex drive–yes, estradiol brings blood flow and elasticity/resilience to the vaginal area and helps sensitivity, as well as helps the brain have “sex on the mind”
- Breast development
Some Unwanted Symptoms of High Estradiol or Imbalance of Estradiol:
- Exacerbates fibrocystic breast disease causing breast cysts
- Tender breasts
- Moodiness with a tendency toward weepiness and melancholy
- Heavy periods
- Irregular bleeding
- Increase risk of uterine cancer if estradiol is not balanced
- Weight gain
- Water weight and feeling puffy and swollen
While there is so much more information regarding the three main forms of estrogen the important message is to have these hormones balanced. It is important to seek out a experienced and licensed naturopathic physician to help balance hormones.