Estrogen: Estrone (E1)
When you think of a woman’s hormones, the first thought is estrogen, but did you know that there are three different forms of estrogen?
Three types of estrogen in a woman’s body:
- Estrone (E1)
- Estradiol (E2)
- Estriol (E3)
Estrone is very important in the female body as all the forms of estrogen are. It is important that estrone is balanced with the estradiol and estriol otherwise, too high estrone can cause unwanted symptoms.
Symptoms of high Estrone:
- Weight gain, especially in the waistline and abdomen
- Moodiness: emotional with more of a tendency toward feeling weepy and easily irritated
- Cravings: munchies for processed carbohydrates such as sugars
- Fatigue: sleepy in the day and hard to wake up in the morning
- Heavy periods: periods are longer and heavier with more clotting
- Midcycle spotting can happen when estrone is high or not balanced with estriol and estradiol
- Irregular bleeding can occur is the estrone is too high with hormone replacement
Estrone is made by the ovaries, but it is also made by fat cells as well. Which means high estrone promotes weight gain (especially in the stomach) hence, promotes more estrone to be made. By reducing or balancing the estrone can help promote weight loss.
Estrone is found in higher levels in young ladies such as teenagers that are just beginning their journey into womanhood. The estrone is partly responsible for the common teen traits of moodiness, munchie/cravings, defensive, grumpy, easy weight gain.
Hormones balancing is a fine art, which requires the knowledge of a licensed, experienced naturopathic physician as it is so specific to the individual.